Indigo Ice Machine Location Requirements January 20 2015, 0 Comments
Manitowoc Indigo ice machines are a commercial grade piece of equipment, that requires consideration for location. Air flow, temperature, water supply and more can affect the performance of the ice maker. All of these factors can affect 24 hour ice production or even cause the ice machine to shut down on safety limits. This article will cover the location requirements for Indigo ice machines, but can also be used as a guide for most other brand commercial ice makers.
- The location must be clean and free of contaminants. Having an exceptionally dirty environment will create bad conditions in the food zone or clog an air-cooled condenser.
- For air-cooled and water-cooled ice machines, make sure the air temperature is at least 35 degrees fahrenheit, but not more than 110 degrees fahrenheit. If the temperature is too low, then the ice machine will have trouble harvesting. If the ambient temperature is too high, then it will have trouble freezing.
- Remote air-cooled condensers require air temperature to be at least -20 degrees fahrenheit and no more than 120 degrees fahrenheit, for the same reasons mentioned in the above bullet point.
- Water pressure is also very important, ensure you have at least 20 psi, but less than 80 psi. If you have high water pressure at a location, install a regulator before the ice making water inlet.
- For water-cooled ice machines make sure the water inlet pressure for the water condenser is at least 20 psi, but not more than 150 psi. As mentioned in the previous bullet point, if pressure is too high, install a water regulator outside of the ice machine inlet.
- Keep the Indigo ice machine away from heat-generating equipment. In addition, make sure it is away from direct sunlight and protected from the outside environment. Never install an ice machine right beside an overhead door or in front of a window.
- Air-flow is probably the most important factor to consider when installing a commercial ice machine. Do not install too close to walls, allowing at least 16” on the top and sides of the ice machine and at least 8” in the back.
- Winterize the ice machine if it will be stored in temperatures below 32 degrees fahrenheit. There are specific winterizing steps that must be taken to keep ice maker parts like water inlet valves, distribution tubes, and water troughs from being damaged by freezing.
A Manitowoc Indigo ice machine that has damaged parts due to it’s location is not covered under the manufacturer warranty. Further issues may also be voided if the equipment was exposed or installed in an incorrect location for a period of time. We always recommend the installation of commercial kitchen equipment be completed by trained service technicians.
If you have a question about Indigo ice machine installation or any topics covered in this article, please email us at email@example.com.